LCGS documents homepage
LCGS Online Resource Library
Transcribed Documents & Lanark County Research
Homepage for Genealogy Resource Centre | Visit LCGS Website

Articles - return to table of contents


Submitted and transcribed by Carol Billingham.



Wednesday, May 4th, 1887, I spent in Toronto, Thursday night and Friday with the Rev. W. K. Anderson and family in Lindsay. On Saturday morning reached North Bay and was taken by Thomas B. Smith to the farm home of Mr. G. Bartlett, son-in-law of Sister Catherine, whose appearing at the door awakened the question "Is it daughter or mother?" This solved, two days and two nights were joyously spent with Brother and Sister Bartlett and family, and in preaching to the neighbours on the Sabbath; Monday night in like manner with nephew Thomas B. Smith and wife. On Tuesday with Sister Catherine, took the cars for Buffalo and got home Wednesday evening, the 18th, and on Thursday, the 2nd of June, started for Davenport, Iowa where, on Friday evening, I led sister Catherine safely to the home of our octogenarian brother, the Rev. James Dick, their first meeting in full thirty years. On Saturday, Brother-inlaw, A. Brownlee, past octogenarian and daughters Christianna and Isabella, met us from Brooklyn and together we went out to Long Grove Homestead, now run by Alex Brownlee Jr. founded half a century ago by his father, and where lies his mother who became the father's wife in 1839. In the double marble tablet which covers her grave, and that anticipated by her husband, he has honoured her memory, as his own. In the church, close to her grave, I preached twice on the Sabbath to solemn assemblies. On Monday two charming neighborhood gatherings, and in the evening returned to Davenport, which we left the next day for Minneapolis, Minn., with delightful recollections of Iowa. Leaving Minneapolis we reached Dominion City, Manitoba on Thursday and by appointment delivered Sister Catherine to the care of her sons, James B. and Robert D. then went north to Winnipeg, but returned and preached three times on the Sabbath, the 12th; then spent the night with Sister Catherine at the home of her sons. On Monday saw their fine prairie farms growing one hundred acres of charming wheat, and other assorted crops. There leaving sister with her children and grand-children, I returned to the General Assembly in Winnipeg, of which I had been elected a Corresponding Member. Of the proceedings I speak briefly in my note to the "Buffalo Express". The intervals between meetings of the General Assembly I spent with nephew and niece David Dick and Mrs. Mary Campbell, who came in from their homes, 113 miles to meet me in Winnipeg. They remained till the General Assembly adjourned, and saw me leave on the cars for St. Paul. Their presence and that of Mrs. Campbell's daughter, cousin Robert Dick and of many old friends, delegates to the General Assembly, made my eight days in Winnipeg ever to be remembered as days of benediction. Our Dakota friends we failed to see, as tickets to Dominion City, their way, could not be bought. On reaching Alexandria, on return at midnight, I stopped to keep the Sabbath; I went to the Congregational Church expecting there the two sons of Robert McFarland, to learn at the close that they had been to the Baptist Church and gone home six or eight miles away. Mr. Geo. Walker kindly took me in his carriage to their home to find that the brothers had gone to their Sunday School two miles off. Saluting Mrs. McFarland, the daughter of sister Elizabeth and her sister, we hurried to the school and addressed the children at the close; then told the friends we had to hurry back to preach in the town. As the McFarlands, came not, I lost a desired conference with Niece; but learned with joy that in reputation the McFarland's were without reproach. In Buffalo found all well, and that all had gone correctly as well.

Yours in the best and highest bonds.

Robert Dick