LCGS documents homepage
LCGS Online Resource Library
Transcribed Documents & Lanark County Research
Homepage for Genealogy Resource Centre | Visit LCGS Website

Articles - return to table of contents

BACK FROM THE WARS
WHAT THE SOLDIERS GOT

The bulk of this article was published in the Perth Courier, December 28, 1916, but additional information has been offered by website users. The items have been re-arranged so that regiments are listed alphabetically. Additional information is credited with the name and email address of each submitter. Items without credit are from the original article.

This article is based heavily on a paper written for the Perth Historical and Antiquarian Society, circa 1900. Please see Notes About The Forming Of A Military Settlement.



Following the article in last issue (Centennial Of The Perth Settlement) relating to the settlement in and about Perth, other particulars of the pioneer days are given this week, taken from the notes preserved from early records and summarized by the Perth Historical Society -- a most useful organization of our younger residents formed some years ago to deal with the settlement events now a hundred years old, many of which might otherwise disappear from the knowledge of the present and future generations but for their thoughtfulness and labor. All honor to them for what they have done. The paper relating to the settlement of soldiers, after their return from Britain's and Canada's wars is partly given below:

The farms along the Christy Lake road (3rd con. Bathurst), 1817-1818, were taken up principally by the retired soldiers of the de Watteville and deMeuron Regiments -- Swiss, Belgians, Germans, Poles and Italians, at first conscripts in Napoleon Bonaparte's army, gathered from these various nationalities, and compelled to serve in his campaigns -- and who afterwards, when taken prisoners by the British, volunteered to serve for our empire in the war of 1812-1815 against the United States. At the peace which followed, they were given grants of land by the Crown of farm lands in Bathurst, Burgess and Drummond. Most of them, unused to farming under the new conditions then prevailing, and perhaps through mere shiftlessness, abandoned their land and emigrated to other parts. Those who remained in Bathurst and Burgess were: Sergeant Pierre Klein, Flanders, lot 25, 6th con.; Privates Peter Adam, German, S.W. ½ 7 in 8th con. Burgess; Harry Kuppir (Cooper), German, E.½ 16, con. 8, Burgess; John Meckler (Mackler), private, Swiss, ½ 18 con. 9 Burgess; George Hoffsmith (Smith), private, Swiss, ½ 6, 3rd con. Bathurst; Andrew Stillar, private, Swiss, E.½ 5, 3rd con. Bathurst; Louis Pennette, private, German ½ 22, 6th con. Bathurst; John Publow, private, Flanders, ½ 26, 6th con. Bathurst, Jacob Dick, private, Swiss, ½ 23, 7th con. Bathurst; Jacob Hollinger, sergeant, German, W.½ 1 in 6th con. Drummond. With these came as chaplain Rev. Abbe Lamothe, a Frenchman, who got 800 acres. He settled among the Burgess soldiers in 1818, in lot 7 in 7th con., and died in Perth, East Ward, in the building where Mrs. McNaughton now keeps a grocery.

Other soldier settlers in and about Perth were:



For a very similar article, see Notes About The Forming Of A Military Settlement.