TRANSCRIPT OF SOUVENIR PERTH OLD HOME WEEK BOOKLET
June 27th to July 4th, 1948
Transcribed by Vivian Dickinson
TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: This booklet has been reformatted from the
original in order to make it easier to read. All grammar and spelling
has been maintained.
OLD HOME WEEK COMMITTEES:
HON. PRESIDENTS - Mrs. J.A. STEWART, Mrs. W.E. DANNER, George S. JAMES,
HON. VICE-PRESIDENT - R.K. GEMMELL.
HON. COMMITTEE OF EX-MAYORS - F.W. BURCHELL, W. DOUGLASS, W.C. MCLAREN,
G.C. TOWNSHEND, T.A. ROGERS K.C., J.T. CONWAY, and R.K. Gemmell.
HON. COMMITTEE OF OLDER RESIDENTS - George B. FARMER, B.H. WRIGHT, Mrs.
J.A. Stewart, Mrs. James AMOUR, Richard CODE, Miss K. PHILIP, John NOONAN,
John CROSKERY, Archibald M. CAMPBELL, Miss T. DWYRE, Mrs. G.T. MacMARTIN,
James MITCHELL, The Misses NEILSON, James W. GAMBLE, Mrs. George FARRELL,
John THORNTON, Miss Kathleen SHAW, Mrs. R.V. FOWLER, Joseph NIXON, Miss
Lillian WADDELL and H.S. ROBERTSON.
PRESIDENT - T.A. Rogers, K.C.
VICE PRESIDENT - Mayor John PENNETT
SECRETARY - John H. MATHER
TREASURER - Norman MOORE
NAMES - Walter A. STEMP
FINANCE - E.M. SABISTON
ENTERTAINMENT - James. E. DUNCAN
DANCING - James R. WRIGHT
DECORATING - Wm. G. HOWIE
PUBLICITY - H.F. SHAW
PUBLIC RELATIONS - A.L. CODE
BANDS - Dave GREENLAW
TRANSPORTATION - Fred. W. Burchell
RECEPTION - Kenneth ERWIN
RACING - D.J. HOGAN
BILLETING - N.E. DODDS
SPORTS - Ronald WHITE
ATTRACTIONS - A.V. McLEAN
TOWNSHIP REEVES - Drummond, H.D. MATHER, Warden Lanark County; Bathurst,
J. C. MATHER; Elmsley, C. MacTAVISH; N. Burgess, Urbin HAUGHIAN
PERTH TOWN COUNCIL
John Pennett, Mayor; Walter A. Stemp, Reeve; T. Vincent LALLY, Deputy
Reeve; Councillors James Wright, Howard WALLACE, Kenneth Erwin,
William WARREN, George FLEMMING, Fred HANNA.
LIBRARY BOARD, 1948
Chairman, T.C. SMITH; Secretary, G.C. Townshend; Mrs. F.C. Conway, Mrs.
M.R. WILSON, Mayor John Pennett, G.S. James, D.C. FRASER, E.A. FLEMING,
Jos. MULLINS; Librarians, Misses Flora MacLENNAN and Doris STONE.
BOARD OF EDUCATION 1948
Orville P. McLAREN, chairman; Dr. C.B. CHURCH, E.L. DAROU, J.L. HARRISON,
E.M. DOULL, G.R. McLELLAN, A.W. MONNERY, A.V. McLean, W.E. HAMMOND,
E.M. Sabiston, J.A. HOWIE, W.J. LYNN, and H.CHARBONNEAU. Frank
V. BUFFAM is secretary and John H. Mather is treasurer.
MERCHANTS WHO WERE IN BUSINESS LAST OLD HOME WEEK AND ARE STILL HERE
Mary Morrison, Chaplin & Code, White and Findlay, Dodds & Erwin,
Quattrocchi's, James Bros., Levine's, Lanark County Mutual Fire Insurance
Company, Lambert's Hotel, Jim Larocque, Girdwood's, Hotel Perth,
Shaw's O'Donnell Bros., Revere Hotel, Perth Courier, Conway's, Conlon
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF PERTH
There is behind the Town of Perth a tradition that reaches back through
the decades to 1815. At that time, Canada - or to be more correct,
Upper and Lower Canada - was under the domain and flag of England but
fifty odd years, and in that half century England had lost her American
colonies, had passed through the French Revolution, the war of 1812
with the States and the return of Napoleon to Europe. England's
time in the fifty years was fully occupied with war, but with the defeat
of Napoleon at Waterloo and the close of the war between Canada and
the States, English statesmen, in both the Colonial and War Departments,
turned their attention to colonization, with the thought uppermost in
mind of establishing strategic outposts that would form defence lines
back from the waterways that separated Canada from the States.
Thus, even before 1815, we have colonization schemes planned, and Perth
was the chief centre. Perth settlement was an English Government
enterprise, followed by settlements at Richmond and Lanark and the building
of the Rideau Canal. Perth was a part of Quebec province, or Lower
Canada, and it was not until January 1st 1823, that the Bathurst district
was formed. The district to the South was known as Johnstown,
with Brockville as the centre. SIR GEORGE PREVOST was the lieutenant-governor
of Upper Canada. Many settlers came as far as Brockvile, then
walked north about twelve miles and then west to Portland where they
were transported on the Rideau to Oliver's Ferry, coming thence to Perth.
The route was outlined by CAPTAIN OTTY, who gave his name to Otty Lake.
Three townships formed the basis of the Perth settlement in 1815 and
1816: Drummond, Bathurst and Beckwith.
The first minister here in Perth was REV. WM. BELL, who was pastor of
the Perth Presbyterian Church in 1817 to 1857.
The settement at Richmond was founded in 1818, named after the Duke
Under the direction of LORD DALHOUSIE in 1820, the settlement of Lanark
was undertaken. In 1823, the first large Irish immigration was
located at Almonte, followed by the McNab idea in Renfrew County at
Arnprior and the building of the Rideau canal. All these were
mighty enterprises of over a century ago, with foundations laid deep
in virgin forest and along unharnessed rivers that yielded year by year
in the development of the country to the splendid area of Eastern Ontario
- and more particularly in this instance to the County of Lanark.
It is established beyond a doubt that Perth was founded by some pioneer
Scotchmen in 1815, and Scottish names were given to the area.
This town was named after the city of Perth in Scotland, and it was
natural the river on which the town stands took its name after the Scottish
Tay. When the time came for a county designation, Lanark was chosen
after a county familiar in Scotland's history. The district of
Bathurst was called after the EARL OF BATHURST, a colonial secretary
in 1814 who was organizing colonization schemes for Upper Canada.
The district about Perth was favorably [sic] described by the pioneer
Scotchmen to their friends in the home land, and in the month of May
1815, three transports, the ATLAS, BATISTE MERCHANT, and the DOROTHY
sailed from Greenock with three ship loads of Scotchmen, their wives
and children. They reached Quebec the middle of September, and
too late to proceed to their future homes, they were quartered for the
winter at Prescott and Brockville. In April, 1816, they were established
on their lands around Perth on the 1st concession of Bathurst and the
10th of Burgess, which to this day is known as the Scotch Line.
They were pioneers, a peaceful, thrifty and industrious people, who,
year by year, through their own handiwork and almost unassisted, build
independencies for themselves and their posterity. Their dominie
was JOHN HOLLIDAY.
Then with the close of the war of 1812, the Glengarry Light Infantry
Regiment of Fencibles, the Canadian Fencibles and the deWatteville regiments
arrived in June 1816, locating in Perth. A town plot was laid
out, the Tay was crossed and the sound of revelry was the hum of the
axes in the primeval forest.
In 1816, the ships CANNING, DUKE OF BUCHINGHAMSHIRE and COMMERCE brought
hundreds from both Ireland and Scotland, for settlement in Elmsley,
Burgess, Drummond, Bathurst and Lanark.
Perth, however, may be called a strictly military settlement, as it
was first peopled by half pay officers and discharged non-commissioned
officers and men, when peace was declared btween England and the States
and between England and Napoleon. Grants of land were made by
the Government, captains receiving 800 acres of land, lieutenants 600,
ensigns 400, non-commissioned officers in proportion to their rank,
and privates 100 acres.
In 1816 CAPTAIN JOSHUA ADAMS, a veteran who served in the American War
of 1812-13 in the Canadian Militia, was about the first to draw a town
lot of an acre, and here erected a tavern thereon. Shortly after
that soldiers began to pour in, and pending the taking up of their allotments,
camped on the island in the Tay which was named after Sir Francis Cockburn,
and is even today known officially as Cockburn's island. The settlers
were for the most part 49th regiment and foreign legion men, who, with
their wives and families, were conveyed in the month of May, 1816, in
wagons, from the various stations at which they were discharged, to
Portland, twenty-eight miles north of Brockville, where they embarked
in a scow owned by a man named LINDAYS, thence down the Rideau Lake
and up the Tay River to Perth. Here was a Government store-house,
under the charge of CAPT. FOWLER, CAPT. GREGG, having as a subaltern
MR. DAVERN and MR. ALEX. MATHESON and SERGT. CAMPBELL, of the Glengarry
Fencibles, as issuers of stores. The store house was on the southwest
corner of the bridge at Gore Street, where Spalding and the Stewart's
distillery later stood for any years, and there on the 24th of each
month, rations with necessary household and agricultural implements
were issued to the settlers - males received per diem, one pound of
pork and the same weight of flour - females half that amount, children
of ten, one quarter rations. This arrangement was only to last
until the settlers had got some land under cultivation, and were in
some sort of postion to help themselves - at this time the settlers
lived in the rudest of huts, roofed with bark and wooden boughs, and
as winter came on most of them moved off to Brockville, Prescott and
Montreal, and there remained until the following spring. However,
the first year a quantity of potatoes were planted, and three bushels
of seed fall wheat, obtained from the Government store, was also put
into the grund. As the spring of 1817 opened, the settlers began
to return, and clearing of land commenced in earnest. Many of
the single men, however, got sick of a backwoods life, the work being
too hard for them and they turned trappers or hunters, or else sought
employment in the more settled parts of Canada, and the United States.
The married men having the responsibiilty of wives and families to provide
for, stuck manfully to the task before them and were not long in laying
the foundation of a career of prosperity. The year of 1817 was,
however, one of great hardship and privation, and the settlers were
in great straits, in fact, on the verge of starvation. The crop
of potatoes was destroyed by the frost, and the rust got into the wheat.
Some families lived for three weeks on the wild leeks they found in
the woods. An application was at last made to the Government for
the issue of an additional half ration per head, which was granted,
and the famine which was imminent was averted.
Timely assistance and a patient waiting for better times, tided the
setters over their difficulties; the lane turned and the highway to
Prosperity was soon reached; the clearings became larger, the dwellings
began to assume some semblance of comfort, crops were better year by
year, and each Spring saw fresh bands of settlers coming to Perth, and
quite a large community was formed by degrees. While this was
going on, the Capt. Adams before mentioned, gave up his tavern, and
put up one of the first grist and saw mills on lot 20, in the 2nd concession
of Bathurst, County of Lanark, and he soon began to derive a brisk trade.
The first store was opened in 1816 by MR. (afterwards the Hon.) WM.
MORRIS, father of LIEUTENANT-GOVERNER MORRIS, of Manitoba, the latter
subsequently partner of MR. W.H. RADENHURST who was mayor of Perth in
1877. This store was on the south side of the river Tay, then
unbridged, and there the town may be said to have started. A ferry
was then used to ply across the river, and cattle, when moved from the
north to the south side, and of course vice versa, had to swim the stream.
The next store was established by BENJAMIN DELISLE, an ex-captain in
the Canadian Fencibles, who came to the settlement in July or August
1816. His store was also on the south side of the Tay, near where
St. James' Anglican church is now. Mr. Delisle, after doing businesse
[sic] there fore some years, removed to Montreal where he died.
Others came in their turn, and the place began to be in some measure
independent of other markets at a distance.
As the settlement grew, of course someone was wanted to look after their
spiritual welfare and then came the first Protestant clergyman, in the
person of Rev. William Bell, a Presbyterian minister. He had his
church which has been burnt down, in the south-east portion of the town.
He ministered faithfully to his flock for many years, and was highly
esteemed by the members of all creeds as being a thoroughly good man.
In 1820 came the REV. MICHAEL HARRIS, an Episcopal clergyman, and co-temporary
with him was the REV. FATHER LAMOTHE, the first Roman Catholic priest.
Then, of course, the physical ailments of the settlers had to be attended
to and a disciple of Galen, a DR. THOM, formerly of the 41st regiment,
came among the people. The gallant, and no doubt learned doctor,
must have been a gentleman of a practical turn or mind, or else the
place was unprofitably healthy that time hung heavily on his hands,
and the piastres did not come in plenteously enough to please him, for
he started a grist and saw mill on the site of the one later belonging
to the late HON JOHN G. HAGGART, M.P. History does not go so far
as to state whether the doctor had a lathe in his mill for the purpose
of turning his own wooden legs, but probably that branch of industry
was not sufficiently developed in Perth at that time to make it profitable;
it is on record though that the saw mill and the compounding of physic
agreed well together, and the doctor accumulated many shekels doubtless
well earned. Before his advent, any small parcels of grain raised
had to be ground in pepper mills, or boiled whole. About this
time, too, the seed for the patches of ground cleared had to be carried
on men's backs from the settlement behind Brockville, and a good proportion
of the provisions were taken into Perth in the same way.
In 1817 the first native of the town, Mr. JAMES BELL, was born.
This gentleman's father, who it will be remembered was the Presbyterian
minister, used to tell of the difficulties to be contended with in a
trip from Perth to Brockville, in these days; there was nothing but
a foot rail, [sic] and that not particularly clearly defined either
- scarcely a vestige of human life was to be seen, and the only marks
of civilization were the few miserable cabins of some settlers near
the bank of the Rideau River. The woods then abounded in wild
animals many of which man was not desirous of forming any close acquaintance
with. Bears, wolves, wolverines, wild cats, etc., deer, partridge,
and other game were plentiful, but the prices given for the pelts scarcely
paid for the means adopted for obtaining them, to say nothing of the
trouble and risk; but notwithstanding this, several of the settlers
then eked out their scanty livelihood by the sale or barter of the spoils
of the chase.
A few years which were not remarkable for any event of importance passed
over the heads of the settlers, who kept adding to their numbers - people
of all classes, creeds and nationalities. Prominent among those
who went out to seek their fortunes in the wilds were CAPT. MARSHALL,
CAPT. McMULLEN, and CAPT. McKAY, all of the Canadian Fencibles, which
has been embodied for service for several years previously: LIEUTS.
WATSON, O'CONNOR and MONK MASON (afterwards recalled for service in
the 24th regiment), BLAIR, of the Glengarry Fencibles; PLAYFAIR, and
FRASER, the father of MR. JAS. FRASER, who was the deputy clerk of the
Crown in Ottawa in 1877.
The first jail and court house was built of brick, on the south site
of the river, in 1821 or 1822, probably its erection extended over a
portion of both these years. The structure was afterwards burnt
down, and the present one, a handsome free stone edifice, was put up
in its stead.
The first death recorded in the annals of Perth was that of the wife
of SERGT WALLESLEY RITCHIE, of the 89th regiment, in 1816, and her remains
were interred in what is now the English cemetery on the south side
of the Tay. Mortality does not seem to have been large until the
year 1832, when the cholera was the cause of some deaths among the settlers.
The next band of emigrants to take up their residence in the Township
of Lanark was a number of Paisley weavers. They all took up land
and entered vigorously into farming pursuits. They were an industrious
law-abiding folk, adapting themselves easily to their new mode of life,
and were soon a large and important item in the list of colonists.
Despite the hardships which, perhaps from the use of the loom and shuttle
to that of the spade, axe and plough, they felt in keener degree than
their fellow settlers, they rapidly acquired wealth and not a few of
them left to their posterity handsome dependencies.
Fall wheat was first grown in large (for these times) quantities in
1823, and the succeeding years. The only outlet and market for
it was Brockville, to which place it was taken by oxen teams, a rude
road having by this date, been made, there being no horses in the settlement
until about 1830, when MR. HENRY GLASS procured a team. The wheat
sold in Brockville at three shillings and six-pence currency per bushel,
and the settlers paid in kind, taking home supplies for their families
- but a very small quantity of money being afloat in those days, in
fact, until some of the veterans applied for, and obtained pensions
from the British Government, the whole, or nearly the whole, trade was
done on the barter system. The making of potash became quite an
extensive branch of industry, and large quantities of it were shipped,
both winter and summer, by ox teams to the Brockville market.
For this article money was generally supposed to be paid, but the amout
was nearly as a rule eaten up by the credits obtained by the farmers
from the storekeepers, who, it would seem invariably got the best of
the bargain, although the settlers tried to sail as close to the wind
as possible. The trade in potash was an extremely brisk one until
the lumber trade was opened in 1834 by ROGERS and THOMPSON, PORTER,
and GEMMELL, ALEX. and HENRY MONTGOMERY, JAMES FLINTOFF and others.
The lumbering operations in the immediate vicinity of Perth were of
a most extensive character, and the settlers then saw to their sorrow
the amount of valuable timber which had been burnt by them, when clearing
their lots, and the thousands of dollars which had been literally thrown
into the fire. However they were not the kind of people to indulge
in vain regrets, and not a few of them went into the business themselves
and carried it on for some years successfully and profitaably.
The timber thus obtained was drawn to Brockville, there rafted, and
went by the St. Lawrence river to Quebec; large quantities were floated
down the Tay to the Rideau River, and thence to Ottawa en route also
for Quebec. Staves and square oak for many years formed the staple
of the trade. The business while it formed the important office
of clearing the land, of course was the means of bringing large numbers
of men into the town for by this time the settlement had grown to a
size which entitled it to that designation, and stone houses following,
the first one build by 1823, by JOHN FERGUSON, a Highlander, who delighted
in the patronymic of Craigdarrich, which began to be erected on all
sides. Perth then commenced to be a place of importance but previous
to this, and as far back as 1824, before Carleton was made a county
in itself, the Court of King's Bench sat there twice a year, and all
the law business of Bytown was transacted there. Perth was originally
in the district of Johnstown, but was subsequently made into the district
of Bathurst, which embraced that portion of the now County of Carleton
north and west of the Rideau, and also what is now the County of Renfrew.
When Bytown became Ottawa, Perth was shorn of much of its importance.
The present Capital, with its more advantageous surroundings and facilities
for carrying on a vast lumber business soon outstripped her elder sister
with rapid strides. Meanwhile Perth was not idle, but in its own
quiet but sure commercial method of carrying on trade, increased in
solidity and wealth, each year witnessing the opening of extensive stores.
A distillery established by HENRY GRAHAM, an ex-captain in the army
during this period, formed an important item in the commerce of the
place, and for years the town had one of the most perfect distillerie
in the Dominion, that of MR. J.A. McLAREN, who manufactured Scotch whiskey
equal to the best ever brewed in Scotland. This distillery was
torn down a few years ago, passing out of business and today its old
site is part of the John A. Stewart Park that has been given to the
town by Mrs. Stewart. Most of the building was torn down several
years ago and a garage and service station operated by MUNROE and FERRIER
occupies the site of the old landmark. One of the early storekeepers
was the late Hon. MALCOLM CAMERON who, when a boy in 1821, used to ferry
passengers across the Mississippi River on the road to Lanark, and whose
parents kept a public house or stopping place for settlers of that district
close to the ferry. In after years Mr. Cameron kept a tavern and
afterwards a general store at the corner of Gore and Foster streets.
Subsequently he was in partnership with MR. H. GLASS, and carried on
business on the present site of the Hotel Perth.
The construction of the Rideau Canal in 1825 did Perth an immense amount
of good, openng as it did, a direct line of communication and means
of conveyance with the River Ottawa. During the years the canal
was being built trade was very brisk in the town, the large number of
men employed on the work, being the means of causing a considerable
amount of money being put into circulation. About this time, too,
a private enterprise called the River Tay Navigation Company was formed
for the purpose of deepening the channel and making it navigable to
the Rideau River. Large sums were laid out by the Company, locks
were constructed, and for a time a considerable amount of traffic by
means of flat bottomed boats was carried on; but in time railroads took
the trade away, and the locks on the building of which so much money
had been expended, fell into decay and remained as monuments of a scheme
which eventually did not turn out a profitable as its projectors anticipated
until rebuild later. The company built a steamer called the Enterprise
which was launched on the Tay right at the town in the year 1833.
She, however, only made two trips and was then transferred to the Rideau
Canal, on which she ran for many years. When she was broken up,
her engines were put into one of the steamers built by MR. JASON GOULD
for the navigation of the Muskrat Lake and river. Goods from Montreal
at this time, consigned to Perth, were brought in barges up the Rideau
canal via Ottawa, and then up the River Tay. This state of things
continued until that stream began to fill up, and the locks got into
bad repair and became useless, then part of the merchandise intended
for the town was taken in via Oliver's Ferry by teams. Then the
Brockville and Ottawa Railroad was built and this effectually killed
traffic on the Tay Canal, and the latter gradually fell into complete
disuse. The business then was entirely of a mercantile character,
but lumber of excellent quality was still being taken out of the northern
and western portions of the neighboring country.
The population increased steadily for ten years after the Rideau Canal
was finished, many of themen who had been employed on the work, settling
in the town or its immediate vicinity. One instance of the progress
of the place may be quoted, and it is in the establishment of the first
newspaper which was called the Examiner and was edited by either WILLIAM
TULLY or JOHN STEWART, who was also a schoolmaster. This was in
1825 or 1826. The Examiner afterwards merged with the Courier
in 1834, when MR. JOHN CAMERON, brother of the late Hon. Malcolm Cameron,
occupied the editorial chair. At his death, Mr. Malcolm Cameron
succeeded him, from his hands it passed into those of MR. JAMES
THOMPSON, Sheriff of Lanark for many years, who conducted it for a time.
MR. CHAS. RICE, clerk of the County Court, bought it from Mr. Thompson
and after running it successfully for some time, on his appointment
to the office, he sold it to MR. G.L. WALKER, in 1863. In 1868,
Mr. Walker took MR. J.M. Walker, into partnership. Mr. G.L. Walker
died in 1874 and the Courier became the property of Messrs. J.M. and
W.T. WALKER, under the name of the Walker Bros. Mr. W.T. Walker
died in 1901 and the paper was carried on by J.M. until October 1st,
1901, when he sold it to his nephew, WALTER W. WALKER. In October
1934 the Courier was incorporated and known as the Perth Courier Publishing
Company. Its provisional directors were Walter W. Walker, WESTON
W. WALKER and THOS. VINCENT LALLY. In January 1936, the Courier
purchased the Expositer Publishing Company, and Perth became a one newspaper
Prior to 1860 the Conservative Journal in Perth and Bathurst district
was the Perth Observer, launched by the late RICHARD CAMPBELL, whose
facile pen in the middle of the last century stirred the residents to
the marrow bone. The British Standard was in existence at the
time too. In 1860 the Perthe Expositor was launched by THOS. CAIRNS.,
who came here from Kingston. Mr. Cairns conducted the Expositor
for a short time when he took into partnership THOS. SCOTT, later Col.
Thos. Scott of Red River fame. After the appointment of Mr. Cairns
to the position of Postmaster at Perth, the paper was conducted by Col.
Scott for a short time, eventually being taken over by MESSRS. EDWARD
ELLIOTT, afterwards Judge Elliot of London, Ont, and WM. BERFORD, both
In 1896 COL. A.J. MATHESON, became the proprietor and editor with CAPT.
J.W. MOTHERWELL as publisher. Both these worthy newspaper men
have also passed to the great beyond. In 1886 CHAS. F. STONE,
fresh from Perth Collegiate, entered the Expositor as "printer's devil,"
and completed his apprenticeship in September, 1890, when he secured
a position on the Deseronto Tribune, later on the Wiarton Echo and the
Petrolia Advertiser. In 1893, on account of the illness of Capt.
Montherwell, Mr. Stone was offered the position of publisher and accepted
it in March of that year. Three years later, after Col. Matheson
had received the endorsation of the electors of South Lanark to represent
them in the Provincial Legislature, the control of the Expositor passed
into the hands of Mr. Stone, who was its editor and proprietor until
early in 1914, when he was appointed Collector of Inland Revenue.
His son, the late HAROLD E. STONE, who was killed overseas, published
it until December 1914, when the Expositor passed into the hands of
Mr. John A. Stewart.
Perth appears to have been a sort of Elddorado for knights of the quill,
so far as appointments have been concerned, or else the brethren must
have possessed abilities of an extraordinary high order, and have been
fortunate enough to have their merits appreciated and recognized in
high quarters, and repaid rewards accordingly. Here's a list:
- Mr. J. Thompson, of the Courier as a Sheriff of Lanark; the late Hon.
Malcolm Cameron, also a Courier man, made a Senator; Mr. Charles Rice,
also a Courier man, Deputy Clerk of the Crown and Clerk of the County
Court; Mr. Thomas Cairns, whilom <?> of the Expositor, a Postmaster
of Perth; Mr. Thomas Scott, another Expositor man, he being martial
in his tastes, was made a "Captain bold" of Red Riverites; and Mr. Richard
Shaw, who held an appointment in the Inland Revenue. Then Mr.
Stone was made collector of Inland Revenue in 1914.
On the green sward in front of the Court House are two brass field pieces
(three-pounders). The little "barkers" were originally taken from
the French by the Duke of York, in Flanders, and did service for the
British in the American war, when they were retaken from the Americans
by the British of Saratoga. They were retaken from the Americans
by the British at the battle of Chrysler's Farm, on the 11th of November,
1813. They were taken to Perth when peace was declared, and presented
to the town, and for years were used for saluting purposes on high days
With the end of World War 1 Perth received two German guns, which were
placed at the Great War Memorial Hospital.
Perth was ever a town of churches and schools. The first clergyman
of the Church of England who officiated in this town was the Rev. Michael
Harris, M.A., Trinity College, Dublin. In 1836, St. James' was
constitued a rectory. In 1820, a frame church was built on the
lot appropriated by the Government for the purpose in the original plan
of the town. It was erected on the site where the present St.
James' Anglican church stands, and was opened for divine worship on
the 16th of November, 1822. The original church was a plain wooden
building about 50 feet long and 40 feet wide. The present church
was opened for divine service on November 14th, 1861, with REV. R.L.
STEPHENSON as a rector, who entered on his duties on Oct. 9th, 1857.
It is Gothic in style, and built of thewhite free stone found in the
vicinity of Perth, and cost $17,000 and the tasteful rectory, close
to the church building, and finished in the seventies, cost $5,000.
The structure consists of chancel, nave and two aisles, and a tower
at the north-west corner of the building at an outlay of $5,000.
The structure is 136 feet long and 66 feet wide. The nave is 110 feet
long and 66 feet wide and the chancel is 34 feet deep. The interior
is not disfigured by galleries and the wood work is pine, stained and
varnished and of chaste pattern. One beauty about the building
is that it was consecrated free of debt. Rev. Michael Harris,
M.A., the first rector who ministered in the Perth is one of the old
Canadian rectories. Since the days of the town for 33 years there
have been the REV. A. PYNE, who remained only three years, who was followed
by the Rev. R.L. Stephenson, M.A., a good and genial graduate of the
"Silent Sister" Trinity College, Dublin. Then came REV. CANON
MUCKLESTON, REV. D'ARCY CLAYTON, REV. DR. BEDFORD-JONES, REV. BRNET,
REV. BANNILL and the present rector, REV. S.B. HOLMES.
The first authentic fact that is to be found in connection with Methodism
in Perth is the record of a meeting at which the ways and means of supporting
church purposes was discussed. In pioneer days, there was the
chapel, which gave place in 1833 to a frame house, an unpretending building
in the Gothic style of architecture, enlarged some ten years afterwards
so as to accommodate 300 persons, and this latter was in turn replaced
in 1884 by a handsome stone structure. There was attached to the
church also, and opening into it, a lecture room, with class rooms and
vestry, the whole costing exclusive of the organ, $11,500. REV.
ARTHUR WILKINSON was the Pastor when the Methodist Church was united
with Knox Presbyterian Church into the United Church of Canada.
In 1842 the first Baptist Church, a building 30 feet by 48 feet, plain,
unpretentious and void of paint, was erected on the site of the present
brick church on D'Arcy street, and REV. R.A. FIFE was the first minister.
A year afterwards Mr. Fife was called to take charge of the Baptist
College in Montreal and was succeeded in Perth by REV. JAMES COOPER.
Succeeding ministers included REVS. PETER MCDONALD, A. PORTERFIELD,
R. HAMILTON, J. CAMERON, M. ASHTON, T. HENDERSON, R. NOTT, W.C. CALDWELL,
J. FORTH and J.H. THORNE.
The original church was eventually torn down to be succeeded bby the
present church in 1889, with REV. DOUGLAS LAING as minister, who was
followed by REVS. G.C. ROCK, G.R. BLUNDELL, J.P. MCLENNAN, W.M. WALKER,
J.G. VANSLYKE, REV. JOHN GALLOWAY and REV. ARTHUR HOMER, the present
Perth is the oldes Irish Catholic Mission in the Province of Ontario,
having had its resident pastor as early as the year 1820. Its
pastors from and including that date were in the order following: -
FATHER LAMOTHE, from Quebec, during 1820, FATHER STEENEY, also from
Quebec, during 1821 and '22; FATHER JOHN MACDONALD, from 1823 to 12
of February, 1838, when he was replaced here by VICAR-GENERAL MCDONAGH,
who administered the mission during the long term of 28 years.
In 1847, Father McDonagh began preparations for the erection of a new
parish church, and on Christmas Day, 1848, he celebrated the first mass
within its walls. REV. DR. CHISHOLM was the next paster, his incumbency
lasting from November 166 until May 1878. The mission was then
served from Kingston, until June, 1879, when VERY REV. DEAN O'CONNOR
was appointed thereto. During the incumbency of Dean O'Connor
he managed, not only to wipe out a heavy debt he found hanging over
the mission, but also to erect a magnificent spire. Succeding
pastors were FATHER DUFFUS, FATHER DAVIS, REV. DEAN HOGAN, wo came here
in 1904, following the death of Father Davis, and wo passed away in
December 1930. He was succeeded by the present parish priest,
Rev. Msgr, M. Meagher, with Rev. J.E. Trainor as curate.
The first settlers of the town and neighboring townships were chiefly
of the Presbyterian faith, and consisted of emigrants from Lanark, Renfrew
and Perth shires, Scotland. The year after the arrival of the
first batch of settlers, the Home Government sent out Rev. Wm. Bell,
M.A., who arrived June 24th, 1817, and undertook the ministerial oversight
of the infant town and settlement. He laboured with abundant zal
and success during a ministry of 1 years and died in 1857 at the age
of 78. In 1828 steps were taken to form another Presbyterian Congregation
in the town. The year following, through the assistance of REV.
ALEX. STUART, of Douglas, Scotland, REV. THOMAS C. WILSON of the National
Church was chosen for the congregation, ordained by the Presbytery of
Lanark, and set out to Perth in 1831. The church was completed
in 1832, names St. Andrew's and opened for divine service. Mr.
Wilson returned to Scotland in 1844 and in 1857 Mr. Bell's congregation
and St. Andrew's were united and REV. DR. BAIN was minister for 36 years.
In 1881, REV. DR. MALCOLM MACGILLIVRAY was inducted as minister of St.
Andrew's, who in 1888 was succeeded by REV. DR. A.H. SCOTT, who was
succeeded by REV. DR. MCLEOD, REV. H.A. BERLIS, REV. C.G. BOYD and REV.
R.B. MILROY, present minister.
The Free Church party in Scotland had friends in Perth during the Disruption
conflict who were organizing into a congregation on the 13th of February,
1845, by REV. MR. BOYD of Prescott. Knox congregation built a
frame church, which later gave way to the present edifice. The
first settled minister was REV. ANDREW MELVILLE, who was called on the
29th December, 1845, and was or dained on the 26th of February, 1846.
REV. JAMES B. DUNCAN was the next minister until 1866, succeeded by
REV. WALTER M. ROGER who resigned in 1868, REV. WM. BURNS from 1869
to 1880; REV. JAMES ROSS, B.D., from 1881 to 1892; REV. DR. CURRIE from
1893 to 1914; afterwards, REV. W.M. GRANT, REV. JAMES H. MIERS, REV.
M. C. MCKINNON and REV. W.R. ALP, the present minister.
Perth, in the eighties and nineties, gave evidence of its stability
and boasted of a happy and prosperous community. These might be
termed the carshop years of the town, when the C.P.R. operated works
here to build freight cars. Times where blue when the shipes were
closed in 1903 or '04 but better times were ahead.
When the first reunion was held in 1905, the town had just voted $25,000
to bring the HENRY K. WOMPOLE CO. here, and in the decades that have
gone we have made substantial industrial progress. We have today
many thriving industries. We are splendidl equipped with modern
conveniences in the way of granolithic walks, sewers, waterworks, electric
lights and paved streets.
While Perth keeps up with the times and plays here part in all affairs,
our population, while not increasing rapidly, is now moving close to
the five thousand mark. We have equipment to maintain perhaps
a population twice our present number, and perhaps some day we may realize
those dreams, but in the meantime Perth moves surely, meets its obligations
yearly and continues to be a real factor in Canadian life.
Perth people of today are proud of the town's splendid history.
We ever strive to live up to old traditions.
FIRST TRAIN TO PERTH
It is now over 89 years since the first railway train entered Perth,
the event marking a very interesting railway development in Ontario's
On February 7th, 1859, the first railway train to Perth from Brockville
arrived in Perth. There was great excitement, although it was
only a wood-burning locomotive with two small coaches. It took
nine hours and 45 minutes to cover the distance which is less than 40
It was a thing of importance at that date and was welcomed as such by
the citizens of Perth, who now look back upon that event only to realize
the development which has snce taken plance in railways.
The thermometer registered 40 below, but this fact did not damage or
'freeze' the enthusiasm of the population which had assembled.
It did, however, affect the progress of the train, for the extreme cold
broke the couplings and the cars had to be linked to the locomotive
with heavy cord.
A reception committee of Perth, with MAYOR JOHN DEACON, at its head,
were in readiness for the arrival of the first train. Mayor John
Deacon was afterwards well known as Judge Deacon.
PERTH TOWN HALL ERECTED IN 1863
Perth has a Town Hall, which although erected in 1863, at a cost of
$12,000 is still considered one of the handsomest and most substantial
municipal buildings in Eastern Ontario. It would probably take
from $90,000 to $100,000 to duplicate it today . Build of
the which or cream-colored freestone (Potsdam sandstone), which has
been so extensively quarried on the outskirts of the town, this square
two-story structure, with its cupola-shaped, copper-sheathed clock tower,
seems to typify the solidity and permanence of the historic town of
which it forms the hub. It might be interesting to note that its
clock has faithfully furnished the time to our citizens since it was
installted, through the instrumentality of the late MR. JAMES MORTON
MILLAR, brother-in-law of the late HON. JOHN G. HAGGART, who was Mayor
of Perth from 1873-74. Prior to the opening of the public hall,
which occupies the entire upper story of this fine bulding, Perth had
no adequate accomodation for theatrical performances, concerts, and
large functions and gatherings of any sort. Up to that time, the
comparatively small 'Music Hall' in the Farmer stone block on D'Arcy
street, was the only auditorium available. Hoever, just as the
new Town Hall eclipsed the once indespensable [sic] Music Hall, so now
one of the most up-to-date theatres in this end of the Province has
caused the former's glory largely to depart, although it still serves
very acceptably on many occasins. For instance, it is a very populare
place for the holding of public dances.
The Town Council Chamber, the offices of the Town Clerk and Tax Collector,
the Lock-up, Police Headquarters, accommodation for Perth's famous band,
the caretaker's residence and in the portion of the building which served
so long as the Perth Post Office, the office and workshop of the Perth
Hydro Electric System, are all situated on the ground floor. Back
of the Town Hall building, and at the entrance to the John A. Stewart
Memorial Park (one of the most beautiful open spaces in any Ontario
town, the gift of Mrs. J.A. Stewart) stands the finest and most substantial
bandstand in Eastern Ontario. While, near by, is one of the most
unique and perfect swimming pools in the Province. Situated, as
it is, at the point where the swiftly-flowing Little River empties into
the main Tay River, it is assured of absolutely pure water, while the
concrete walls, platform, diving equipment and other improvements were
made possible through the generosity of the late MISS CONSTANCE M. DAWES,
who thus conferred one of the greatest and most appreciated boons on
the youth of Perth-on-Tay.
HISTORY OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST CHEESE
In 1893 the Dominion of Canada "put across" the most effective bit of
advertising in her annals. By that time it had been realized that
if a consumptive demand could be created for the product of the many
chees factories that had come into being in the previous few years the
condition of the average farmer in the dairy counties on the Dominion
would be enourmously improved.
So it was decided by the authorities at Ottawa that Canada should eshibit
a cheese at the World's Fair at Chicago that would occasion so much
comment that Canadian cheese would be known the world over.
PROF. J.W. ROBERTSON, head of the experimental farm at Ottawa, commissioned
MR. J.A. RODDICK to make this cheese at Perth. The cheese factory
at Perth, then owned by the late Hon. A. J. Matheson, was being used
as an experimental system at the time In charge of the cheese
factory were two men who probably did more to build up the chees industry
in Canada than any other in the land. These were Mr. RUDDICK,
late dairy commissioner, Ottawa, and the late MR. GEORGE G. PUBLOW,
at one time in charge of the dairy school at Kingston.
Mr. Ruddick, under the direction of Prof. Robertson, had charge of the
manufacture of and the handling of the curd. The curd was made
at the different factories in Perth district and after salting was put
into the ordinary cheese presses, for a few minutes and then taken out,
broken up and drawn to Perth where it was made into "the big cheese."
It took three days to collect enough curd to make the monster.
In all 207,200 pounds of milk were used, equal to one day's product
from 10,000 cows. It weighed 22,000 pounds, or eleven tons.
As no ordinary truck could carry such a load an exceptionally strong
truck was made by the late MR. MATTHEW STANLEY to convey the cheese
from place to place.
The progress of the big cheese from Perth to Chicago was like the itinerary
of some prince or potentate. The C.P.R. converyed the cheese on
the "World's Fair Cheese Train." Circus posters were put up in
all places en route to let the Canadian people see the monster.
It was incased [sic] in a mould or boiler plate, was 6 feet high and
28 feet across. The weight was such that it was not considered
advisable to put it on one flat car so reinforcements were laid across
two cars. Great crownds were at the stations all along the line.
The "big cheese" became the sensation of the World's Fair.
After the big fair was over the cheese was shipped to Liverpool for
SIR THOMAS LIPTON.
An exact replica of the big cheese was constructed at the C.P.R. Station
in Perth a few years ago and bears an historical inscription.
September - MRS. JANE LAURIE retired from business. Laurie's Ginger
Beer, in the stone bottles, was once one of Perth's popular drinks.
Mrs. Laurie passed away in a few months after retiring.
October - MR. AND MRS. J.T. CONWAY left Perth to reside in Toronto.
Before leaving Mr. Conway was presented with a five-piece silver service
and tray, while Mrs. Conway was presented with a rosary by the Cotholic
[sic] Women's League, at a social evening held by the parishioners of
St. John's Church. Later the Retail Merchant' Association presented
Mr. Conway with a leather steamer bag. [TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE:
Mr. Conway was a former councilman and Mayor of Perth as well as being
a Retail Merchant. His retail enterprises were sold off when he
moved to Toronto. His brother Frank Conway retained Conway's Mens
and Boys Wear which, while no longer owned by a Conway, still does business
in Perth today.]
Jan. 10 - MR. HENRY TAYLOR, former Police Magistrate of Perth, passed
Feb. - First steps in the construction of good permenent [sic]pavement
were taken by town council. The Stnadard Paving Co. was given
the contract for the work. During the years 1926, 27 and 1928,
8 miles of roads were laid at a cost of $1,000,000.
Apr. - MR. T.A. CODE celebrated 50 years in business.
Apr. 9 - Perth had worst flood in 40 years when the Tay canal overflowed
its banks. Factory workers had to go to work in small boats and
many cellaars [sic] were filled with water.
Apr. 14 - Late Saturday night the end in the old Spalding and Stewart
distillery near the Gore St. bridge collapsed and fell into the river.
June 27 - St. John's church spire was struck by lightning and the Perth
fire brigade had a very difficult time to put out the fire in the 200
July 4 - The corner stone of the new St. John's separate school on Wilson
St. E. was laid by His Grace the Most Rev. Archbisop SPRATT, D.D. of
Aug. 26 - Blair & Sons put a new ambulance into service, being the
first one in town.
Nov. 21 - The C.P.R. roundhouse near the station was destroyed by fire.
Dec. 31 - McLaren's clothing store was closed for business.
February 25th - ARNOLD MCCULLOUGH opened a barber shop in the stand
formerly occupied by WM H. MCINTYRE, Photographer.
April 15th - The first sod was turned on the erection of St. Andrew's
Prewbyterian church, on Drummond Street, and on July 28th, the corner
stone was laid by Lieut-Governor W.D. ROSS.
Aug. 22nd - The Royal Bank moved into their new premises in the Code
Block, from their former location in the Balderson Theatre Block.
September 23rd - The Government Liquor Store opened in the Code Block.
December 2nd - Work was started on the levelling of the grounds for
the John A. Stewart Park, between the little river and the Armour premises.
December 16 - An outstanding citizen in the person of Mr. CHAS. J. FOY
March 11 - Just five years after St. Andrew's Church was destroyed by
fire the new edifice on Drummond Street was opened, with REV. DR. BUNYAN
MCLEOD as Minister.
May 10 - The first "Stop" signs were erected in Perth.
May 13 - The DeHertel Block on Foster and Wilson Streets was badly damaged
June 2nd - Mrs. J.A. Steward was elected National President of the I.O.D.E.
Mrs. Stewart was the first member, outside of Toronto, ever to hold
June 22 - ORVILLE STEWART disposed of his barbering business, in O'DONNELL
BROS. Tobacco store, to ALLAN MILLAR.
July 14 - The Dominion Government leased the former Asbury Methodist
Church, to be used as an Armoury. Later the government purchased
July 19 - JOHN L. SCOTT of Toronto, purchased an old established business
"Hart's Bookstore" from W.B. HART.
July 27 - P.E. GILBANK of Bowmanville, was appointed Principal of the
Perth Public Schol [sic], to succeed MR. I. HAMMOND.
September 10 - G.H. HEADRICK purchased the plumbing and tinsmith business
of D.J. MITCHELL, who retired.
Oct. 4 - Work was commenced on the demolition of the old Spalding &
Stewart distillery on Gore Street, at the bridge, from the H.K. WAMPOLE
CO., who used the building as a warehouse. The premises was purchased
by the McColl Frontenac Company and a gas station was ereced [sic] on
Nov. 7 - H.K. Wampole Co. commenced excavation work, on an extension
to their factory, on Herriott Street. The building was of white
brick, 60' by 90', two storeys high.
December 4 - JAMES A MALONEY, opened a law office in PERTH, in the building
where Vice's Bakery is now located.
Jan. 11 - REV. G.A. BRUNET, of Pakenham, arrived in Perth to become
Rector of St. James' Anglican Church, to succed [sic] REV. DR. BEDFORD-JONES.
March 28 - RICHARD MILLS of Toronto, was engaged as leader of the Perth
July 4 - DR. E.C. CONSITT, prominent Perth physician died after a lengthy
Aug. 30 - Messrs. DEHERTEL and O'HARA disposed of the Perth Creamery
to MACK ROBERTSON and PETER MCNEVIN of Belleville, and the name changed
to Land O' Lanark Creameries.
Jan 4 - The A&P store opened a grocery store here at the corner
of Foster and Wilson St.
Mar. 18 - MR. N.B. Nicoll puchased the Hicks House from MRS. W.J. GLASCOTT.
The hotel later became known as Hotel Perth.
April 30 - The new nurses' residence was officially opened the G.W.M.
April 16 - The United Farmers' Co-operative commenced business here
with MR. D.J. HOGAN as Manager.
Aug. 23 - Perth's new Swimming House was officially opened. The
pool is considered one of the finest in Ontario.
Oct. 4 - R.A. Beamish Co. established the first in his chain of stores
in the Meighen Block.
Nov. 10 - The first "talkie" picture was filmed in the Perth Theatre
after the building underwent extensive improvements during the summer
and fall months. "Whoopee", starring Eddie Cantor, was the opening
Nov. 6 - The 100 Club was formed in Perth, with MR. FRANK HUTCHINSON,
as the first President.
Dec. 16 - VERY REV. DEAN HOGAN, Pastor of St. John's Church Perth, died
after a lengthy illness.
Feb. 7 - REV. M.J. MEAGHER came to Perth to succeed the late Very Rev.
Dean Hogan in St. John's Church.
May 8 - A bridge was erected over the little river in the John A. Stewart
Park, which adds greatly to the convenience of the citizens.
May 19 - MR. H.M. SHAW, Reeve of Perth and one of the town's oldest
business men passed away after a long period of illness. The late
Mr. Shaw was a public spirited citizen and took a deep interest in everything
pertaining to the welfare and progress of the community.
June 1 Work started on the erection of the bandstand at the rear
of the town hall. It was officially opened before a large gathering
of citizens by MAYOR J.H. DEVLIN.
June 17 - The construction of the new portion of the No. 15 Highway
between Flannery's Crossing and Moore's Crossing, south of the C.P.R.
October 9 - Te Sunnyside Apartments, corner of Gore and Harvey Streets
were ready for occupancy.
Dec. - Alterations and improvements in the Perth Arena were completed
including a new fence around the ice area, gallery enlarged and theatre
seats added, new penalty box, timekeepers' and press accomodation, hockey
players and Ladies' rooms enlarged and re-decorated.
March 26 - MR. T.B. CALDWELL, died at his home here, at the age of 76
years. He was one of Eastern Ontario's outstanding business men,
- actively interested in mining, lumbering and merchandising.
He was president of the Perth Woollen Mills, which were established
in 1919, and later sold to Tayside Textiles.
May 4 - A disastrous fire occurred which destroyed the barn owned by
MRS. DAVID FERGUSON, partial destruction of a double frame residence
on Harvey Street, owned by MISS MARY WALKER, and the roof of St. James
Church, caught fire from flying embers. A large hole was burned
through the roof and sparks caught on the organ which suffered considerable
damage. The roof on St. James Parish House was also singed as
well as a number of residences in the surrounding area. Fire fighting
equipment was rushed from the several factories, while the Smiths Falls
Fire Brigade responded to a call for aid.
June 14 - The Government dredge commenced cleaning the basin and canal
July 7 - After 20 years in the Photography business here, MR. J.H. ADAMS
disposed of his store to MR. G.E. HOLLINGTON.
Aug. 25 - No. 7 Highway, from Perth to Toronto was officially opened
by PREMIER HENRY of Ontario.
Oct. 3 - In the presence of a large assembly of people of Perth and
surrounding district, the doors of Perth's new Post Office were opened
by MR. T.A. THOMPSON, M.P. for Lanark County.
May 2nd - The Famous English train, the Royal Scot, enroute to the World's
Fair at Chicago, stopped at Perth at 11.15 p.m. The platform at
the C.P.R. Station was crowned with people anxious to get a glimpse
at the Royal Scot.
May 6 - ARTHUR CAVERS, aged 10 years, rescued HARRY STAFFORD, aged 4
years, from drowning in the Little Tay River, near the Park. Later
Arthur was presented with a parchment Certificate from the Royal Canadian
June 11 - JOHN H. ECHLIN of Perth, passed away suddenly. He was
prominentlly [sic] identified with the Dairy industry as Dairy Inspector
and Instructor of Lanark County and Instructor in Kingston Dairy School.
July 5 - HARVEY LOWE, long identified with the horse livery business
passed away at his home here.
Aug. 1 - The C.N.R. telegraph office moved to its present location with
the C.P.R. telegraph office, on Gore St.
Aug. 6 - ARMAND VINCENT'S Trans-Canada bicycle racers, some 40 in number,
accompanied by ambulance and repair truck, officials, etc., arrived
in Perth at 11.25, on the sixth lap of their pedal trip to Winnipeg,
via Pembroke, North Bay, Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. The riders
included a former Perth boy, BERT SMITH.
Aug. 11 - MR. H.A. O'DONNELL, Barrister of Perth, was created a King's
Aug. 18 - The Perth Shoe Company erected a new warehouse at the rear
of their plant.
Aug - MR. HUGH C. WILLSON took over the law practice of MR. C.V. FARMER.
Aug. 20 - MR. ALEX CAMERON, SR., Harvey Street, prominent liveryman
passed away here.
Sept. 30 - MR. GEORGE ROGERS retires as Postmaster of the Perth Postoffice.
Sept. - The cribwork in basin was being replaced with new timbers.
Sept. - A new hardwood floor was laid in the Perth Arena covering a
surface 175 ft. by 75 ft. It is to be used for roller skating
and a dance floor.
Sept. 11 - COL. J.A. HOPE, K.C., D.S.O., M.C., V.D.,A.D.C., widely known
soldier-lawyer of town, was elevated to the Ontario Supreme Court Bench
to succeed the late MR. JUSTICE W.A. LOGIE of Toronto.
Oct. 23 - MR. T. ARTHUR THORNBURY purchased MR. W.S. ROBERTSON's Drug
Store. Mr. Thornbury remodelled his store in 1947 and now has
one of the most modern drug stores in Eastern Ontario.
Nov. 3 - GOVERNOR-GENERAL EARL OF BESSBOROUGH and COUNTESS OF BESSBOROUGH
were warmly welcomed in Perth, followed by a tour of Western Ontario.
An address of welcome was read by MAYOR J. J. HANDS on behalf of the
Town. Their Excellencies visited local manufacturing plants and
the G.W.M. Hospital.
Feb. 19 - The 'Maple Leaf Groceteria', Perth's first 'Self Serving'
store opened on the corner of Peter and Foter Street. MR. BROCK
BEAUMONT, late of Brockville, was the owner and operator.
Feb. 19 - MRS. MARY F. McINTYRE, mother of MRS. WALTER GEDDES, Dalhousie
Lake, celebrated her 100th birthday.
March 18 - The Colonial Coach Lines, Ltd., of Ottawa, inaugurated a
new bus service between Ottawa, Carleton Place, Perth and Smiths Falls.
April 13 - MR. FRANK W. WILSON, K.C., of Windsor, was appointed judge
for Lanark County to succeed the late JUDGE J.H. SCOTT.
June 3 - MR. W.E. DANNER, President of the Henry K. Wampole Co., died
Aug. 3 - The Perth Courier, fifth oldest newspaper in Canada, celebrated
its 100th anniversary. A 32 page edition was issued to commemorate
Sept. 30 - Headquarters for No. 9 District of the Ontario Provincial
Police was moved to Perth from Ottawa. INSPECTOR SIDNEY OLIVER
was in charge of the office.
Oct. 7 - MR. F.A. LAMBERT, Proprietor of the Imperial Hotel passed away.
Nov. 9 - The Perth Courier, carried on under the name of the WALKER
BROTHERS, was incorporated under the name of the Perth Courier Publishing
Company of Perth, Limited. The provisional Directors were WALTER
W. WALKER, WESTON W. WALKER and THOS. VINCENT LALLY, with W.W. Walker,
as Managing Director.
Dec. 28 - According to the assessor's roll, Perth's population was 4,215,
an increase of 158 over 1933.
Nov. - By a standing, unanimous vote at a public meeting of local citizens
held in the Lodge rooms of the Orange Societies, a resolution was passed
deeming the occasion fitting to conduct an Old Home Week or Old Boys'
and Girls' Reunion in the Town of Perth, during the summer of 1935.
Committees were named later, but the project was postponed to a later
date. World War II followed a few years afterwards and plans for
the reunion were held over.
Jan. 2 - Perth Theatre commenced featuring double pictures each night.
Jan - The Burgess ghost episode at the JOHN QUINN farmhome, was causing
much excitement, when lids on the stove moved, flat irons came tumbling
down the staires and stones were hurled through the windows. Large
crowds visited the scene day and night to get a glimpse of the phenomena.
Howere, the mystery was cleared up later, when it was found that the
tricks were being played by two of the younger members of the family.
Jan. 20 - Cleanrite Cleaners opened the first dry-cleaning plant in
Perth, by W.L. ROGERS and J. McHARDY of Toronto.
May 1 - MR. LES SMALLWOOD of Brockville, purchased the Perth Bottling
Works from GEO. T. KERR.
April 27 - DR. A.W. DWYRE complted [sic] 50 years as a medical practitioner.
April 13 - Perth Museum was incorporated.
Feb. 14 - mr. T.j. farmer OF Perth, passed away suddenly from a heart
attack, while on a holiday cruise to the West Indies and Panima [sic].
May 1 - The C.P.R. inaugurated a pick-up and delivery service in Perth.
June 17 - The W.L. McKINNON Co. of Toronto took over the Bond office
of the late T.J. Farmer.
June 22 - MR. WM. STRONG, of Perth, purchased the Pink Factory, on Victoria
Street, and the building was later demolished.
July 16 - DR. C.B. CHURCH, Physician and Surgeon opened his office in
Aug. 16 - MR. G.R. DULMAGE, a graduate of Trinity College School, Port
Hope and Queen's University, Kingston, has enetered the law office in
Perth, of MR. H.A. O'DONNELL, K.C.
Sept. 13 - Perth won the S. Lawrence Baseball League, after defeating
Renfrew 1 to 0, in the latter Town. Battery for Perth was NORM.
HIBBS and EMIL GRAFF.
Sept. - DR. J.A. KIDD, Physician and Surgeon, opened an office in Perth,
on Drummond Street.
Oct. 11 - The spires were removed from the Perth Armouries, the former
Asbury Methodist Church.
Oct. 15 - MR. PERCH SPALDING was appointed Postmaster of Perth, to succeed
Nov. 8 - Perth was shaken by a severe earthquake. The tremor lasted
over a minute.
Nov. 16 - MRS. A.J. SIDDALL opened a novelty shop, known as "Yarncraft"
in the Hotel Perth Block.
Dec. 23 - The Lanark County Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company moved
their offices to their new quarters in the former A.H. McLAREN building,
on Wilson Street, which they purchased a short time ago.
Dec. 25 - JUDGE J.H. SCOTT passed away suddenly in Perth.
Jan. 15 - The Perth Courier Publishing Company purchased the Perth Expositor
Plant, and Perth became a one-newspaper town.
Mar. 8 - MRS. ALVIN McINNES and four of her children were burned to
death when fire destroyed their home in Dalhousie Township.
May 1 - MR. THOMAS CODE, President and Founder of The Code Felt &
Knitting Co., completed 60 years in business in Perth.
April 17 - MR. MERVYN CHAPLIN, of the firm of Code & Chaplin passed
away after a lengthy illness.
May 1 - The Bank of Nova Scotia had been established 30 years in Perth.
May 15 - TOM MARKS, once famous comedian and showman, passed away at
his home at Christie Lake.
June - In a report of the Bureau of Statistics, after a survey of manufacturing
centres of Ontario, Perth was the most important manufacturing centre
in Lanark County.
Sept. 11 - C.M. FORBES was appointed Registrar of Deeds for the Registry
Division of North and South Lanark in the place of JAMES ARMOUR, deceased.
Oct. 4 - Sever injuries she had received when struck by an automobile
on Gore Street bridge, resulted in the death of MISS JEAN A. DRYSDALE,
of the C.P.R. & C.N.R. Telegraph's office.
Oct. 18 - Glad Tidings New Tabernacle opened for services with ROBERT
BURGESS as Pastor.
Nov. 7 - DAVID McLEAN, prominent well known ex-farmer and cattle buyer
Nov. 14 - St. James' Anglican Church celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
REV. GILBERT A. BRUNET was Pastor.
Jan. 1 - MISS NETTIE BURKE was appointed Chief Operator of the Perth
Telephone Exchange, to succeed MISS MARY O'DONNELL, who retired.
Jan. 17 - GEO. T. KERR, who had a distinguished military career, passed
away after an extended illness.
April 24 - MR. T.A. POOLE, Lanark County Warden and Deputy Reeve of
Perth, died at the age of 76.
May 7 - Night Patrol JAMES J. KANE died suddenly while on duty.
June 29 - MR. T.A. CODE, Founder of Perth's Oldest Industry, The Code
Felt & Knitting Co. died in his 84th year.
Sept. 8 - MR. E.L. DANNER presented the Perth Board of Education with
the land adjoining the Collegiate Institute, known as the former Pink
Oct. 20 - The Perth Museum was officially opened by his Honor DR. HERBERT
BRUCE, Lieut.-Governor of Ontario. MR. ARCHIBALD M. CAMPBELL is
the Curator. The Museum ranks as one of the finest in Canada.
Nov. - The Denning Fence Co. began operations manufacturing snow fence,
in the old Bolt Factory.
Jan. 14 - It was announced by the Hospital Board of Directors, that
MRS. W.E. DANNER would erect a new wing to the G.W.M. Hospital.
Jan. 18 - DR. L. THOMPSON died suddenly from a heart attack.
Jan. 19 - MISS HATTIE NICOLL, who has been Librarian for 30 years, at
the Perth Public Library retired.
Feb. 20 - GEORGE BOND, Grand Old Man of Lanark, passed away in his 100th
March 10 - CHARLES F. STONE, well known newspaper man and former editor
of the Expositor died following a lengthy illness. Mr. Stone was Secretary
of the Old Bays' [sic] Reunions of 1905 and 1925.
March - Perth Blue Wings Hockey team brought honor to the town when
they won the Citizen Shield for the second time and afterwards defeated
Verdun and Halifax in the Memorial Cup playoffs. They were eliminated
by the strong Oshawa Generals for the Eastern Ontario finals in two
April 15 - W.L. McKEE was appointed tax collector and assessor.
April 17 - Ground work stared [sic] on the new Danner Pavilion at the
May - the ANDREW JERGENS Co. completed their new office building.
R.H. GAMBLE, local contractor was in charge of building operations.
Inside and out the building is modern in every respect and considerably
improves the appearance of the plant. An extra story was also
added to the building which gives considerably more floor space.
July 8 - Perth Citizens' Band won two trophies in a contest with leading
Eastern Ontario Bands, held at Tweed's Old Home Week.
Oct. 18 - JAMES MURRAY WALKER, Editor and Publisher of the Courier from
1874 to 1901, and a journalist of wide repute, died in Toronto at the
age of 93 years.
Dec. - MR. FRANK VICE opened a new bakery on Gore Street, near the Litter
River bridge. In 1947 new modern oil heated ovens were installed.
Jan. 3 - The W.E. Danner, Memorial Pavilion of the G.W.M. Hospital was
opened on Tuesday, by their Excellencies, LORD AND LADY TWEEDSMUIR.
The new wing was erected at a cost of $50,00, and increased the capacity
of the Hospital by 27 beds. A plaque was unveiled bearing the
following inscription: - "Perpetuating The Memory of the Late W.E. Danner
Esq. This addition to the G.W.M. Hospital has been erected by
Mrs. W.E. Danner, ELSIE DANNNER THORNE and E. LESLIE DANNER, 1939."
April 28 - DR. A.W. DWYRE, passed away after 54 years as a medical practitioner.
May 17 - A large contingent of Perth citizens went by special train
to Ottawa to see Their Majesties, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.
A Civic Holiday was proclaimed that day in Perth.
June - Perth Lawn Bowling Club opened their new greens, next to the
Court House property.
June 6 - Work was commenced on the extension to the Hotel Perth.
Sept. 6 - The work of erecting the new water tank on Harvey Street was
started which will cost $25,000. The tank will be 150 ft. hight
and will be the first of this particular design in Canada. It
will have a capacity of 208,000 gallons.
Sept. 18 - WESTON WALTER WALKER, Vice-President of The Courier Publishing
Company died in Kingston.
Dec. 2 - Blair & Son opened their new Funeral Home and Chapel, one
of the most outstanding in Ontario.
Dec. 2nd - Shaw's Store celebrated their 80th anniversary.
Feb. 16 - Perth Corporation received a new pumper truck which pumps
600 gallons per minute. The cost was $9,505.
April 4 - The G.W.M. Hospital was given an iron lung, from LORD MUFFIELD
June 27 - REV. W.R. ALP was inducted into St. Paul's United Church.
Dec. 30 - The Henry K. Wampole Co. celebrated its 35th anniversary.
April 1 - MRS. P.J. KEHOE sold the Hotel Revere to MR. J.H. ALLAN of
July 12 - MR. C.A. CAMPBELL, Vice President and General Manager of the
H.K. Wampole Co. died suddenly at his summer home, Rideau Lake.
July 24 - MR. C.W. URQUHART was appointed General Manager of the Henry
K. Wampole Co.
Sept. 13 - McLaren's Bakery closed after 66 years of business.
Oct - A large extension was erected to the Meighen Block, on Gore Street
where the Beamish Store is located.
Nov. 5 - A saw mill was erected outside the town limits, on the Lanark
Road, which was operated by VAL. WEILER & SONS, and later sold to
J. STANTON, its present owner.
May - MR. JAMES BARR purchased the Drennan Block. At present it
is occupied by Stedman's store and the Perth Shoe Co. Club Rooms.
May 10 - REV. FATHER MEAGHER was investitured as Monsignor, by his Grace
ARCHBISHOP O'BRIEN of Kingston.
June 29 - JOHN MATHER was appointed Treasurer for the Town.
May 19 - 12 persons were injured, none seriously, when a freight train
crashed into a stationery passenger train at Glen Tay. Eight cars
were derailed on the freight train and 18 head of cattle killed.
Sept. 1 - Perth and district residents were issued their first Ration
Sept. - The Unemployment Insurance Office was opened in Perth with MR.
R.W.R. HUGHES as Manager, and MISS M.M. BYRNE as Clerk.
Oct. 31 - MR. WALTER W. WALKER, Publisher of the Perth Courier for 40
years, and President and Managing Director of the Perth Courier Publishing
Company, who was well and favorably known in newspaper circles, passed
away after several months' illness.
April - The fire siren was erected on the Town Hall building.
This will do away with the old fire alarm.
May 1 - MR. S.R. SALISBURY of Belleville purchased the Revere Hotel
from MR. J.H. ALLAN.
May 3 - JOSEPH H. EBBS, former Sheriff of Lanark County died.
May 16 - REV. SIDNEY BAKER HOLMES, formerly Rector of Huntley and Carp,
has been appointed Rector of St. James' Parish, Perth, and St. Augustines,
Sept. 14 - O'Donnell Bros. Warehouse was destroyed by fire with an estimated
loss of $50,000.
Oct. 23 - the unveiling of the memorial celebrating the 50th anniversary
of the making at Perth, of the world's largest cheese was carried out
before a large gathering. The unveiling ceremony was performed
by DR. J.A. RUDDICK, aged 80 years, who supervised the making of the
famous originl. The memorial which is situated at the C.P.R. Station
is a cement replica of the original cheese, measuring 28 feet in circumference
and 6 feet high. The chees weighed 22,000 lbs.
April 26 - EDWARD YOUNG, Town Clerk, was killed by an automobile, while
crossing Gore Street, near Harvey Street.
May 1 - MR. HAROLD DUBY of Brockville, buys the Hotel Perth, from the
N.B. NICOLL Estate.
July 8 - A large number of Perth citizens visited the H.M.C.S. Lanark,
at Victoria Pier, Montreal, when they were tendered a reception by the
Sept. 15 - C.E. SMITH was appointed Chief of Police of Perth to succeed
CHARLES DONOVAN, who retired after 12 years as Chief.
Dec. 7 - JOHN H. HARDY, Principal of the Perth Collegiate for the past
23 years, resigned to take a position on the staff of the College of
Jan. 9 - FRED FORSYTH, Lanark County Agricultural Representative, passed
away suddenly at the curling rink.
Jan. 20 - T.ARTHUR ROGERS of Perth was appointed King's Counsel.
May 16 - M.L. LAPOINT, well known in the business life of Perth died
June 30 - FRED A. ROBERTSON, retired as Manager of the Bank of Montreal
for the past 25 years.
Oct. 22 - The town garbage collection was inaugurated.
April 19 - DR. J.J. MCCANN, M.P. for Renfrew and a native of Perth,
was appointed Minister of War Services in ominion [sic] Government.
In August he was named Minister of Nation Revenue.
Nov. - Esmond Mills, Ltd, blanket manufacturers, with head office in
New York, have secured a permit for the erection of a plant at a cost
of $150,000. The mill will be located on North Street and will
house 72 modern looms.
Dec. 18 - St. John's R.C. Church was re-opened after being completely
renovated at a cost of $35,000. The church which, was erected
in 1848, and was completed and consecrated on August 15th, 1849 by BISHOP
Dec. 18 - The celebration of the 50th Anniversary to the Priesthood
of REVEREND MICHAEL J. MEAGHER, D.P, V.F., Pastor of St. John's Church,
was fittingly marked.
Dec. 28 - Perth Town Council decided that members of Council will be
paid for their services. Each Councillor will receive $5.00 per
meeting which he attends, while the Mayor will receive $15.00
PAGE 57 (Shown as page 37) COUNTY COUNCIL - 1948
Warden, H.D. MATHER, Drummond; Townships of, Bathurst, J.C. MATHER;
Beckwith, ADAM W. JONES; Burgess, URBIN E. HAUGHIAN; Dalhousie &
N. Sherbrooke, LORNE GEMMIL; Darling, WM. G. CRAIG; North Elmsley, CAMERON
MACTAVISH; Lanark, LORNE STEWART; Lavant, ARTHUR J. CROSBIE; Montague,
R.F. MCCREARY; Ramsay D.W. STEWART; South Sherbrooke, J.N. RITCHIE;
Pakenham T.A. WILSON; Towns of Almonte, ARTHUR SMITH; Carleeton Place
[sic], W.A. ROE, Reeve; ARNOLD WEEDMARK, Deputy Reeve; Perth, WALTER
STEMP, Reeve; T.V. LALLY Deputy Reeve, Villag [sic] of Lanark, OSWALD
March 18 - MR. ALFRED BOWES, Secretary and Manager of Lanark County
Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company was elected President of the
Mutual Fire Underwriter's Association of Ontario, in Toronto.
May 15 - After being 38 years in business, P.W. CLEMENT disposed of
his Planning Mill to his son, WILLIAM and R.A. MCLENNAGHAN who formed
a partnership and the business in now knows as the Perth Planing Mill.
May 16 - Colonial Coach Lines started a bus service to Toronto and points
west, along No. 7 Highway through Perth.
June 8 - Work was started on the erection of the Esmond Mills.
July 20 - MAYOR F.W. BURCHELL headed a delegation to Toronto in an effort
to get wartime houses for Perth.
Aug. 1 - MISS G. PATTERSON was appointed superintendent of the G.W.M.
Aug. 16 - Work was commenced in the tearing down of the building at
the corner of Wilson and Peter streets for the erection of a modern
garage and service station by J.A. PERKINS & Son.
Aug. 23 - MESSERS RICHARD MILLS and WILFRED HORROBIN purchased the Maloney
Block on Gore Street.
Aug. 4 - The New Quattrocchi Block was commenced. While dismantling
the former building, which was the F.W. Hall home, workmen removed timbers
which were 115 years old. On one timber the following was cut
with a knife "G.E., 1831".
Oct. 4 - MR. VINCENT HAUGHIAN purchased the Brook's prperty, corner
of Gore and Herriot Street. The lower floors are occupied my [sic]
FRANK CONWAY'S men's wear store and CORBETT FARRELL'S radio shop.
At present the second floor is being converted into office space and
Nov. 12 - WILLIAM E. WRIGHT retires as a bandsman after 54 years.
Dec. 18 - MR. JOHN F. WITHROW, of Timmins, joined the Courier, as Managing
Jan. 8 - The Rotary Club was formed in Perth and received its Charter.
MR. G.L. SMALLWOOD was the first President.
Feb. 3 - The John A. Stewart Park was presented to the town by Mrs.
J.A. Stewart, in memory of her husband, the late John A. Steward, former
M.P. for Lanark County and Minister of Railways and Canals in the Meighen
April 5 - The Old Matheson Residence, which afterwards was known as
Vanity Fair, was purchased by the local verterans for a hall,
May 17 - The New Rideau Ferry Inn was opened by MR. D.A. WALLACE of
June 15 - MISS MARY WALKER, retired Public School teacher, having been
on the staff for 45 years, died.
July - The erection of the first house in the Jamesvill new residential
section, situated on Wilson Street, near the C.P.R. tracks, which was
owned by MR. GEORGE JAMES. There are twenty-one building lots
in the sub-division and when all houses are competed, and streets and
sidewalks constructed, this will be the most modern section in town.
At present three housed are completed and occupied, with another under
Sept. - A new Bowling Alley was opened in the J.A. Perkin's building,
corner of Wilson and Foster Streets.
Fire Chief JAMES W. CAMBLE resigned his position after 56 years. A member
of the fire brigage, 37 years of which he served as Fire Chief.
W.G. HOWIE succeeed [sic] his [sic] as Chief.
October - Two homes were under construction on the Jamesville Property
on Wilson Street.
Nov. 21 - Perth Theatre Block was purchased by Theatre Holding Corporation
of Toronto from Mrs. J.A. Stewart.
Dec. 1 - The Teen and Twenty Club was formed in Perth and a slate of
officers electeed [sic].
Dec. 6 - Mrs. John. A. Stewart made a gift of her property on Wilson
Street to the Board of Education, to be used as a site for a new Public
January - The first of the new wartime houses were ready for occupancy.
Jan. 19 - The old Haggart Grist Mill, which was occupied by the Millard
Electric Works was destroyedby [sic] fire.
March 31 - The Frontenac Paper Box Factory, on Wilson Street was gutted
April 4 - Roller Skate Hockey was introduced in Eastern Ontario, when
a game was played in the Perth Areana [sic] between teams from Perth
and Smiths Falls.
May 13 - HOWARD NOONAN, opened his new store on Gore Street, the former
Graham property. He added a line of groceries to his meat business.
May - H.C. Buffam, gracer [sic?] moved into his new place of business,
next Revere Hotel, on Foster Street. Extensive improvement in
the interior and exterior were made to the building., which now has
a larger floor space.
Three new garages were completed since the first of the year, by MR.
WOOLAMS, on Craig Street; ROBERT CRAIG, on North Street and GEORGE MCTAVISH
on Wilson Street, W.
SUNDAY, JUNE 27th, 1948
A.M. - Special welcoming church services in all churches, regular hours
2 p.m. - Easter Ontario Canadian Legion parade and Drumhead Services
with visiting bands, at Stewart Park.
8:30 p.m. - Community singing and band concert, Stewart Park.
MONDAY, JUNE 28th, 1948
7:45 a.m. - All bells, whistles, etc., will ring or blow. Old
Home Week starts.
10:00 a.m. - Registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. - Address of Welcome by Mayor John Pennett. Official
opening, band stand.
10:45 a.m. - Novelty, get acquainted parade.
2:00 p.m. - For visiting factories ( passes obtained from secretary),
visiting stores, museum, golf club
Bowling Green club.
5:05 p.m. - Community singing and novelty acts. An hour of fun,
Legion platform Gore St.
7:00 p.m. - Fast softball, P.C.I. grounds.
8:30 p.m. - Roller skating display, Perth Arena.
9:30 p.m. - Street Dancing.
TUESDAY, JUNE 29th, 1948
10:00 a.m. - Registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. - Mayor welcomes new arrivals.
10:30 a.m. - County baseball tournament, 1st game, see hand bills.
Horse shoe tournament, fair grounds. Visiting manufacturing plants.
11:00 a.m. - Old time street frolic.
1:30 p.m. - Welcome to Warden and County Officials and visitors, fair
2:00 p.m. - 2nd game baseball tournament.
BIG NOVELTY SPORTS PROGRAM
Reeve's Race, wheelbarrow race, egg race, log sawing, horseback race,
hog calling, etc. There's goint to a lot of fun. [sic]
4:30 p.m. - Final baseball game.
5:30 p.m. - Strawberry Festival, by Junior Farmers', plus special program
at 8:30, John Haggart Park.
7:00 p.m. - County council banquet.
8:30 p.m. - Junior Farmers' Special Concert, John Haggart Park
8:30 p.m. - Box lacrosse, Perth Arena.
9:30 p.m. - Dancing, armouries, also street dancing.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 30th, 1948
Smiths Falls, Carleton Place, Almonte, Lanark Village Day
10:00 a.m. - Welcome reception, band stand.
10:00 a.m. - registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. - Back to School, "Old Boys" Classes", Public School and
Separate School. Come and dress the way you "Use-Tu". Swimming
Meet, Town Pool, Visiting Factories, Horse Shoe Tournament, P.P.S. grounds.
11:30 a.m. - Band concert on street.
12:00 a.m. - Old Boys' Luncheon, Arena. Special program.
Take our advice and don't miss this event.
1:30 p.m. - Parade arrives from neighboring towns and continues to fair
grounds, also children's bicycle parage. 5c rides for children
at Midway on Wednesday.
1:45 p.m. - Perth welcomes visiting towns.
2:00 p.m. - Horse shoe pitching at fair grounds.
2:00 p.m. - Baseball, band concert, dancing and sports of all kinds.
5:00 p.m. - Special street attraction, barber shop quartette, clowns,
6:30 p.m. - Montreal Canadiens (Hockey) softball team vs Perth All Stars.
8:30 p.m. - Perth Theatre, Irish Play, St. John's Literary Society.
9:30 p.m. - Dancing, street and armouries.
10:30 p.m. - Night shirt parade.
THURSDAY, JULY 1st, 1948
10:00 a.m. - Registration and billeting at town hall.
10:00 a.m. - Special welcome at band stand. Address to new visitors.
10:00 a.m. - Big one-hour street fun frolic.
10:30 a.m. - Opening game softball tournament, P.C.I. grounds.
12:45 p.m. - Monster parade, bands, floats, clowns and funny jesters
to fair grounds.
2:00 p.m. - Horse shoe pitching at fair grounds.
2:30 p.m. - Horse racing (pari-mutuel machines), 3 classes, 2.30, 2.24,
3:00 p.m. - 2nd game softball tournament.
5:30 p.m. - Special street fun frolic, barber shop quartette, clowns,
dancing sing song, etc.
6:30 p.m. - Softball finals, PCI grounds.
8:30 p.m. - Variety vaudeville show in front of grand stand.
9:30 p.m. - Dancing, arena, street dancing.
FRIDAY, JULY 2nd, 1948
TORONTO, OTTAWA AND MONTREAL DAY
10:00 a.m. - Registration, billeting.
10:00 a.m. - Special welcoming reception, band stand.
10:00 a.m. - Aquatic sports, basin.
11:30 a.m. - Street frolic, more fun than yesterday.
1:30 p.m. - Toronto and Ottawa boys parade you to the grounds.
2:30 p.m. - Horse Shoe pitching, fair grounds.
2:30 p.m. - Sports (This is going to be different). Montreal says
"Look out, Toronto and Ottawa".
3:30 p.m. - Grand stand performance. Toronto-Ottawa sponsored
5:30 p.m. - Street frolic, "Look out for this". The two cities
are going All Out on our main drag.
7:30 p.m. - Softball game, P.C.I. Old time brides' parade 1800
to 1948, town hall.
9:30 p.m. - Sensational fancy dress "Mardi-Gras". Dance special
main street, also dance in town hall.
TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: One of my grandparents wrote 'Grand Parade'
opposite this date in the booklet. It may be a reference to the
1:30 p.m. event.
SATURDAY, JULY 3rd, 1948
UNITED STAES VISITORS' DAY
10:00 a.m. - Registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. - Special good neighbors welcome. Special address by
noted Americal visitor to be announced later.
11:00 a.m. - Street frolic. Our American friends have some good
1:15 p.m. - Parade. Our American friends parade to grounds.
1:45 p.m. - Racing (pari-mutuel machines).
2:30 p.m. - Horse shoe pitching finals, fair grounds.
2:30 p.m. - Casting competition and many other attractions.
2:30 pm. - Racing.
3:30 p.m. - Softball (the Americans having fun).
4:00 p.m. - Racing, 3 classes, 2.27, 2.20 and free-for-all.
4:30 p.m. - Novelty program, talent show, fair grounds.
5:30 p.m. - Street frolic, everybody having fun.
7:30 p.m. - Amateur show, Perth Arena. Softball and Novelties,
P.C.I. gournds. Midway at fair grounds.
9:00 p.m. - Dancing, two big novelty street dances.
SUNDAY, JULY 4th, 1948
A.M. - Farewell church services.
2:00 p.m. - Unveiling of War Memorial at G.W.M. Hospital.
TRANSCIBER'S NOTE: The final page in the booklet was set aside
for people to get the names and addresses of people they met during
Old Home Week. The following names were entered by my grandparents
FRED BURNS Syracuse
EARL MOYLE & LILLY North Bay
HARRY LACOMBE (?) Galt Note: Could be Liscombe
KEN SMITH Detroit
ANNIE MOORE (?) Wyoming
HILDA ?? London Note: Looks like Ibouri
LAURA CHAPMAN Toronto
ANNIE JAMES Calgary
ALF POWELL Ottawa
OLIVE FLEET (?) Kingston Note: Could be Flett
MAYBELL FERRIER Montreal
CRISSIE WILSON Calgary
FRED LEVER Toronto
ROY BARRIE Barrie Note: Could be Ray
MARY COURTNEY Wisconsin
BILLIE BAIRD Toronto
Page 2: F.C. CONWAY Men's and Boy's Clothing Gore St.
Page 4: McVeety Electric MILNE MCVEETY, Prop. Gore St.
Page 5: Mill's China & Gift Shop Next to Theatre
Page 6: Red Indian Lunch Bar On the site of the Old Distillery
Page 7: Cleanrite Cleaners J. McHARDY, Proprietor
Page 8: W.G. SAWDON'S Store A COMPLETE ELECTRICAL SERVICE
Page 9: PERTH BOTTLING WORKS G.L. SMALLWOOD,
Page 10: THE NEW RIDEAU FERRY INN Call 906 r 51 for reservations
Page 11: HARRY'S CAFÉ HOWARD SOONG, Prop.
Page 12: Bluebird Diamonds J.A. ROSE
Page 13: White and Finlay JAMES WHITE ARTHUR FINLAY
Page 14: Ryder Bros. Service Station GEO. C. RYDER, Prop.
Page 15: MARY MORRISON Perth Oldest Grocer
Page 16: BOB ECHLIN Insurance and Real Estate
Page 17: Eaton's Order Office T. Eaton Co.
Page 18: CONLON'S Meat Market and Grocery
Page 19: Land O' Lanark Creameries J.J. FINNEGAN, Prop.
Page 20: NEWMAN Studio, Perth's Leading Photographer
Page 21: Bass Lake Club
Page 22: BARR'S Imperial Service Station
Page 23: 'Greetings and Welcome to all Perthites attending the 1948
Old Home Week. J. QUATTROCCHI & Co.'
Page 24: J.M. MCDOUGALL Canadian Tire Corp. Assoc. Store
Page 25: Perth Theatre WM. A HAMILTON, Manager
Page 26: JAMES BROTHERS, Hardware and Sporting Goods Store
Page 27: G.H. HEADRICK & SON Hardware and Plumbing
Page 28: JACK MCGLADE Your tire and battery man in Perth
Page 29: W.L. MCKINNON & CO. Government & Municipal Bonds
Page 30: O'DONNELL BROS. Tobaccos and Confectionery SYLVESTER
Page 31: SANG LEE LAUNDRY JOSEPH JOHNSTON, Prop.
Page 32: The Bright Spot JOHN WALTON, Prop.
Page 33: Hotel Imperial ED. LAMBERT, Mgr.
Page 34: DAROU & HUGHES All lines of Insurance
Page 35: Hotel Perth H.D. DUBY, Prop.
Page 36: NORMAN B. LIGHTFORD Specialty Shop
Page 37: Revere Hotel S.R. SALISBURY, Prop.
Page 38: CHAPLIN & CODE One of Perth's Oldest Business Houses
Page 39: BLAIR & SON Furniture Store 11
Gore St. W Phone 65
Page 40: Perth Public Utitlies Commission
Commission - DR. JOHN L. WALSH, D.D.S., Chairman
DAWSON C. KERR, Phm. B.
JOHN PENNET, Mayor
Manager & Secretary-Treasurer - R.J. SMITH
Page 41: RUBINO's Flower Shop
Page 42: HARRISON'S Drug Store Next to Theatre
Page 43: SMALL BROS. Foster St.
Page 44: The Commodore Grill HAROLD FERGUSON
and JOSEPH BEATTY Prop.
Page 45: Wilson's Clothes Shop
Page 46: Perth Frosty Lockers and Public Cold Storage
Page 47: Thornbury's Drug Store ARTHUR THORNBURY, Prop.
Page 48: GEORGE D. SMITH Auctioneer & Realtor
Page 49: Mutual Life of Canada & General Insurance Agent CLARENCE
Page 50: Tayside Bakery FRANK VICE, Prop.
Page 51: OAKES Bakery
Page 52: Perth Tea Rooms CHRIS. MOSKOS
Page 53: The Lanark County Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
W.M. STANLEY Pres.
H.K. NESBITT Vice-Pres.
A.A. BOWES Manager & Secretary
J.C. MATHER Treas.
Page 54: W.I. SMITH'S Red & White Store
Page 55: PERKINS' Motor Sales General Motors Dealers
Page 56: Craig Motor Sales ROBT. CRAIG, Prop.
Page 57: Perth District Co-op Services
Page 58: Munroe & Ferrier Your Texaco Dealer WM.
MUNROE JIM FERRIER - Propietors
Page 59: DODDS & ERWIN Groceries - Seed - Flour
Doing business in the former dining room of the old Allan House (Cecil
House). This property was bought from Mrs. J.A. Stewart by the
late JAMES EDGAR ERWIN who transformed the old hotel, over a period
of years, into a business block.
In the midst of alterations a disastrous fire almost gutted the stone
building and wiped out all frame buildings at the rear. (1924)
The firm of Dodds & Erwin was comprised originally of N.E. DODDS
and J.E. ERWIN (Deceased October 8, 1946). The staff now is as
KENNETH I. ERWIN (Prop)
N.E. DODDS (Retired)
ROBERT J. BEATTY, (Mill Manager),
HOWARD J. MAYHEW (Store Manager),
ETHEL MAYHEW, (Clerk).
"BUD" COTA, (Egg Grader).
Page 1: John Pennett Mayor
Page 5: John H. Mather Secretary of Perth's Old Home Week
Norman Moore Treasurer of Perth's Old Home Week
Page 11: PERTH LEGION HALL - THE FORMER MATHESON HOME
Page 13: REV. W.R. ALP, Minister of St. Paul's United Church
REV. S.B. Holmes, Rector of St. James' Anglican Church
Page 15: Rev. Mgr. M.J. MEAGHER Pastor of St. John's R.C.
Rev. J.E. TRAINOR Curate of St. John's R.C. Church
Page 17: Rev. R.B. MILROY Minister of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
Rev. ROBERT BURGESS Pastor of Glad Tidings Tabernacle
Page 19: Rev. A. HOLMER Pastor of Perth Baptist Church
MRS. W.E. DANNER Who erected the Danner Pavilion at the G.W.M. Hospital,
in memory of her husband, the late W.E. Danner
Page 21: The Great War Memorial Hospital
Air View of the Town of Perth
Page 23: The Quattrocchi Block
Page 25: WM. G. Howie Fire Chief
J.W. Gamble Ex-Fire Chief
Page 27: View of Little River at Gore Street
View of the Tay Canal from Beckwith Street
Page 29: PERTH POST OFFICE
Page 31: PERTH PUBLIC LIBRARY
Page 33: HOTEL IMPERIAL
Page 35: Perth swimming Pool
Page 37: Haggart's Dam
Page 39: Glad Tidings Tabernacle
Blair & Son Funeral Home
Page 41: St. James' Anglican Church
Page 43: Perth Baptist Church
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
Page 45: St. John's R.C. Church
Page 47: St. Paul's United Church
Page 49: St. John's Separate School
Perth Public School
Page 51: View of the Stewart Park
The Perth Collegiate Institute
Page 53: Scene of the Tay Canal Bank
Page 55: Perkins' Bowling Alleys
Perkins' Motor Sales
Page 57: Perth's Band Stand
This Souvenir Booklet is presented by Perth business men who helped
make this publication possible through their advertisements, and was
complied and published by JAMES J. LALLY, HOWARD M. THOMPSON and A.M.
JOHNSTON, and was printed at the Perth Courier Office.
Photos on pages 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, 21, 23, 45, 47, 51, 53, 55, 57, by
Newman's Studio, Perth, Ontario.