LCGS documents homepage
LCGS Online Resource Library
Transcribed Documents & Lanark County Research
Homepage for Genealogy Resource Centre | Visit LCGS Website

Mostly Photographs - return to table of contents

Lanark Village
130th Battalion leaving Lanark, 1916.
           The building with the tower is the Lanark town hall. All visible buildings were destroyed in the fire of 1959. View looks north-east. Although the soldiers are identified on the photo as being from the 135th Battalion, this must be in error because the 135th was raised in Middlesex County. The 130th Lanark and Renfrew Battallion was raised in the Counties of Lanark and Renfrew with mobilization HQ at Perth, under the Authority of G. O. 151, December 22nd. 1915. The Battallion sailed September 27th, 1916 under the command of Lt.-Col. J. F. deHertel, with a strength of 25 officers and 573 other ranks. In England it was absorbed into the 12th Reserve Battallion. It was disbanded September 15th, 1920.  -- Del Dunlop.

Photograph by Robert J. Stead.
Submitted by Del Dunlop